Starting a Podcast by Brian Connolly
Since its inception in 2013 An Irishman Abroad has become one of the biggest independent podcasts in Ireland which the Telegraph stated 'could turn out to be one of the biggest podcast hits since Ricky Gervais picked up a laptop.' In 2013 An Irishman Abroad was announced the Best New Audio podcast on iTunes and has made iTunes' Best of.. lists for 2014 and 2015 as well as being listed in Podbean's Top 10 podcasts in the Society and Culture category for 2014 and 2015.
Having started out his career in the area of broadcast imaging (branding through sound) and writing radio jingles, Brian is now a final year PhD student with research interests in the application of psychoacoustic phenomena concerning the non-linearities of the inner ear within contemporary music composition. Since starting his PhD in 2012 at Maynooth University, Brian has composed the music for Keith Barry's The Dark Side tour, was subsequently credited as writing the effects music for Barry's TV3 show Brain Hacker as well as having written and presented the RTÉ lyric fm documentary Why Music Can't Stay Still. Brian teaches Acoustics and Psychoacoustics at undergraduate and postgraduate level at Maynooth University and in the past 18 months alone his groundbreaking research into the ear as an instrument has been widely showcased at high profile events in Ireland, England, Scotland, United States of America, Canada and Mexico.
Brian will talk about:
- What podcasts actually are, and the different preconceptions about them;
- The podcast industry and reasons why it is successful as an industry;
- Social media promotion, do's and don'ts, basic tips on how to start up a podcast and how to bring it to the audience;
- Finding the right equipment;
- Narrowing your topic and find your niche;
- Recording, producing and editing your podcasts;
- Getting started with creating your RSS podcast feed;
You're welcome to stay for pizza and a beer afterwards! Refreshments kindly sponsored by Amphenol TCS.